Hurricane Matthew dominated the weekend, bringing soggy game day conditions to many. Making the weekend brighter in New England, Tom Brady returned to the field and to his usual greatness sans tan lines from his Italian holiday.
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS - Like us? Share us! It's that simple.
NFL (National Football League)
- Then there was one. With a win over Houston Texans, the Minnesota Vikings are the only remaining undefeated team left in the league.
- Like new. This weekend the winless Cleveland Browns were the sacrificial lambs for Tom Brady’s return from his four game “deflategate” suspension. Brady didn’t miss a beat and picked up right where he left off – dominating.
- For the complete NFL Scoreboard, click here.
MLB (Major League Baseball)
- Moving on. In front of their home crowd, Toronto Blue Jays swept the Texas Rangers to win the ALDS (American League Division Series). The Rangers held the best record in the American League. In case you were wondering, no cans of beer were harmed during this series because the Blue Jays started serving beer out of cups. The outfielders thank you. (What are we talking about? Click here).
- Need a miracle. Both the Boston Red Sox and San Francisco Giants are at risk of being swept in their respective series if they don’t pull off a win in their games tonight. The Giants play the Chicago Cubs and Red Sox will take on the Cleveland Indians. Here's the schedule,
NCAA Football (College)
- Downpour defeat. An unranked Naval Academy pulled off their biggest upset in 32 years, beating an undefeated University of Houston (#6) at home in the pouring rain. Your Last Night's Game team was there, ponchos and all and it was brilliant.
- Check the rest of the scores here.
NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing)
- A force to be reckoned with. Hurricane Matthew delayed the race in Charlotte to Sunday afternoon. Although not even a hurricane could keep Jimmie Johnson from clinching a spot in the next round of the playoffs, breaking his 24 race winless streak.
WNBA (Women’s National Basketball Association)
- High achievers. The Los Angeles Sparks upset the Minnesota Lynx in a close game at home in the first game of the finals. Game two is on Tuesday.
- Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in Ann Arbor, Michigan (home of University of Michigan) ran a promotion this weekend that included a percentage off your bill equal to Michigan’s margin of victory, with 50% off as the cap. Michigan won 78-0 on Saturday vs. Rutgers University. They probably won’t be running that deal again anytime soon.
- Dallas Cowboys rookie quarterback Dak Prescott is off to a record-breaking start in his first season on the field. He’s winning and setting records including number of pass attempts straight without an interception (155) - a rookie record. He’s aiming upset to Tom Brady’s record of 162.
- What does it meant to sweep? When a team sweeps a series, it means the other team did not win one game. Fans love to bring brooms to the game to taunt the other team when a sweep is on the horizon. Now if we could only get them to sweep up our houses…