Halloween is in the air. Worried what topics to talk about besides favorite candy choices while you’re partying it up with ghosts and goblins this weekend? We have you covered with a ghoulishly good Rundown.
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS – As the weather starts to cool down, this Tailgate Treat from Last Night’s Game super fan Barry and the team over at Edible Magazine is just what the doctor ordered. Here’s their recipe for chili-cornbread pie.
MLB (Major League Baseball)
- Cubbies fever. The World Series continues in Chicago tonight. The Indians and Cubs will play the next three games (Fri-Sun) at Wrigley Field. The teams are tied in the series at 1-1. Tickets for the games at Wrigley are going for as much as $19,000 each. While watching a game at a bar in Wrigleyville could cost you $250 just to get in. Better hit the ATM.
- Hard work pays off. The comeback story of the World Series has been the return of Cubs’ slugger Kyle Schwarber. He had a season ending knee injury in April which prevented him from playing in an MLB game all season. Schwarber trained hard and was placed on the World Series roster primarily as a designated hitter where he brought a much needed offensive spark. You won't be seeing as much of him in the next three games because they will be played by National League rules - no designated hitter.
NCAA Football (College)
- Heading west. ESPN College GameDay heads to Salt Lake City ahead of the game between the undefeated Washington Huskies (#4) playing the Utah Utes (#17). Washington features sophomore quarterback Jake Browning who is an early Heisman trophy contender.
NFL (National Football League)
- Cheerio. In this week’s installment of football abroad, the Washington Redskins will play the Cincinnati Bengals at Wembley Stadium in London, with an early start time of 9:30 am EST Sunday.
- Two-time Olympic judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison announced that she will pursue a career in MMA (mixed martial arts) now that her Olympic career is over. The path from judo to MMA has been paved by Ronda Rousey who is the matriarch of women fighting in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).
- NASCAR’s “Chase for the Cup” continues with the round of eight drivers this weekend. There are three races in this round. Winners are guaranteed a spot in the next and final round. Jimmie Johnson is the overwhelming favorite to advance, winning 18 times at the three tracks in this round.
- Since the 1950’s, the rivalry game between Florida (#14) and Georgia has been dubbed the “World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party” due to the excessive number of people tailgating. This year the organizers are promoting it as the “River City Showdown” to pay homage to Jacksonville, leaving fans from both sides very upset. Hey they earned that title! (Check out the funny Twitter reactions).