If you’re part of the polar vortex sweeping the country this weekend it’s a great excuse to sit in front of the fire and thaw out while warming your mind (and maybe your heart?) with sports.
Fire up those brain cells,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS – You’re not likely to tailgate in the snow, but if you are we have the perfect recipe in this week’s tailgate treat to keep you all warm and snuggly.
NCAA Football (College)
- Solved that problem. University of Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh’s name has surfaced as a possible candidate for the vacant Los Angeles Rams head coaching job. Harbaugh said it’s all rumors made up by enemies to hurt recruiting. He then insulted said enemies by calling them “jive turkeys.” Later he sang the national anthem at rapper Lil’ Dicky’s concert. Now that’s a renaissance man.
- It’s bowl game time. The University of Texas San Antonio Roadrunners are bowl eligible for the first time in school history. They play the University of New Mexico Lobos at home this weekend in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl. Movin’ on up.
- Everybody’s doing it. Bowl game season starts on Saturday. Don’t forget to join our Last Night’s Game’s ESPN Bowl Mania Group to win prizes or to simply have a good time. It’s like a March Madness bracket for college football. (Once you click the link above, select "play now for free." Password: sports curious).
UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)
- Your lucky day. UFC will broadcast Saturday night’s fight live and free of charge. The main event is between Paige VanZant (PVZ) and Michelle Waterson. PVZ, as her friends call her, is a Sacramento resident. She may also look familiar because she was the runner-up on season 22 of Dancing with the Stars.
- Famed basketball sideline reporter Craig Sager, 65, was elected to Broadcast Hall of Fame on Tuesday. On Thursday he lost his battle with cancer. While he was known for his colorful attire and his time on the NBA (National Basketball Association) sidelines, Sager was actually the first person to interview Hank Aaron (legendary baseball player) on the field after he broke the all-time home run record. He will be missed. #SagerStrong
- The NFL’s (National Football League) Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears will play in frigid temperatures in Chicago on Sunday. The expected high temp is zero degrees with 15 mph winds. This game could go down as the coldest game in the Bears’ history.
- The radio announcer for Wake Forest football received his stocking full of coal early this year - he was fired. An internal investigation uncovered that Tommy Elrod had been giving opponents Wake Forest's game plans since 2014. No word on why the alum and former Wake Forest coach deceived the team in the #WakeyLeaks scandal but three teams thus far have admitted to receiving the information. He’s on the naughty list for sure.