What has bling, brackets and balloons? This weekend did. Don’t worry your future looks bright, as the inaugural Last Night’s Game Tournament Challenge is here.
The week is off to a great start,
The Last Night’s Game Team
NCAA Basketball (College)
- The bracket for the NCAA tournament (i.e. March Madness) are set and the number one seeds (top ranked teams in the tournament) are:
- East - North Carolina Tar Heels
- South - Kansas Jayhawks
- Midwest - Virginia Cavaliers
- West - Oregon Ducks
The first games start with the play-in games on Tuesday with the actual first round starting on Thursday. Click here for the entire schedule of games.
- Bracket fun. The inaugural Last Night’s Game Tournament Challenge is here! Winners (and losers) will receive prizes, bragging rights and a chance to actually enjoy March Madness without the stress of the office pool. It’s free to participate. (More about picking your bracket in the ‘Five Things to Know’ on Wednesday). Email us if you have any questions.
- A different party. The NIT (National Invitational Tournament) is for 32 teams that did not make the big dance of the NCAA tournament (hence why it is also referred to as the “not invited tournament.”) Games start Tuesday.
- Oops. CBS held their official two-hour bracket release show on Sunday, dramatically releasing the teams one by one. Oh the suspense. Apparently someone had had enough because halfway through the show the complete bracket was leaked online. CBS currently investigating to find the leak of this very valuable information.
NFL (National Football League)
- Buh-bye. Cleveland Browns released quarterback and notable party boy, Johnny Manziel, after two years with the team. During his time with the Browns, former Heisman Trophy winner “Johnny Football” put partying before football which lead to his release. Like any good breakup, Manziel took it in stride by partying in L.A.
- He put a ring on it. Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson popped the question to singer Ciara over the weekend. Judging by the engagement ring, their future looks bright. The couple is known for their devastatingly good looks and their vow of abstinence until marriage. (Ciara has a son, Future, with former fiancée, rapper Future).
NASCAR (National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing)
- Quick delivery. In the #4 Jimmy John’s car, Kevin Harvick won his first race of the season by the narrowest finish in Phoenix International Raceway history.
- Can you spell D.U.I? A man was arrested for deliberately driving his snowmobile into two sleds competing in the Iditarod race on Saturday, killing one dog and injuring two others. The suspect admitted to drinking hard alcohol and blacking out before driving his snowmobile into the sleds. There is still no motive of why he intentionally targeted the sled dog teams.
- VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) lost to St. Joseph’s in the Atlantic 10 Championship game, hurting their chance to make the NCAA tournament. One cheerleader took the loss very hard and took her frustration out on the St. Joseph’s balloons. (VCU made tournament anyways). She gave a whole new meaning to the cheer be aggressive. Be be aggressive.
- Lee McCoy, who is a senior at the University of Georgia and an amateur golfer, finished fourth in the The Valspar Championship. Since he is an amateur he cannot collect the $292,800 prize money associated with his finish. When asked about the money, "It was a lot of money. I think I've got like $350 in my bank account right now, so that's mostly gas money. It hurt, but there’s so much going great for me right now. I’m just trying to take it all in. Just really grateful to be standing here.” Talk about a good sport. McCoy now has to turn around and play in a 36-hole tournament today for the University of Georgia.
- In the NCAA tournament, what is a play-in game? A play-in game is played by four teams in two games to determine whether or not they will make the tournament. The winning teams will then play a higher seated team in the first round and the losers go home.