Shh don’t tell the boss but today is all about watching the Masters online at the office. Although we don’t think our lunch break is going to involve Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s favorite sandwich.
Hold the mayo,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PGA (Professional Golfers' Association)
The greatest game on grass. The Masters began yesterday and the defending champion Jordan Spieth leads the field after the first day.
1. Jordan Spieth: -6
T2. Danny Lee: -4
T2. Shane Lowry: -4
- Record setting. 46-year-old Ernie Els set a record yesterday but not in a good way. He set a record for shooting nine shots on the first hole which is a par four. (See below for more about par).
Tune into www.cbssports.com or CBS for coverage from Augusta.
- End of an era. Manny Pacquiao will face Timothy Bradley for the third and last time. This is Pacquiao’s last fight before retirement. You may remember Pacquiao for his memorable moves and fights but unfortunately many will remember him for his offensive comments about the LGBT community that caused him to lose sponsors. The fight will be held Saturday in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and can be viewed on Pay-Per-View starting at 6 pm (EST).
MLB (Major League Baseball)
- That’s just wrong. Three people were arrested for stealing a scooter signed by San Francisco Giants’ outfielder Hunter Pence from the San Francisco Make-A-Wish office.
- Zero, zip, zilch, nada. Also in the news of records that aren’t good for the ego, the San Diego Padres tied a record for starting off the season with 26 scoreless innings. They went almost three games without scoring a run.
NFL (National Football League)
Let’s get it started. The NFL released the preseason schedule for the 2016-17 season. Each team will play four preseason games to warm up for the regular season. Your favorite team’s schedule can be found here.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be competing in Saturday’s Duck Commander 500 (those Duck Dynasty guys are everywhere). Earlier in the week Earnhardt tweeted a photo of his favorite meal - a banana and mayonnaise sandwich. An interesting combination for the best sandwich ever, but I guess they say don’t knock it ‘till you try it. You go first. Catch Saturday’s race at 7:30 pm (EST) on FOX.
- Golden State Warriors became the second team in NBA history to reach the 70-win mark in a single season. Warriors are on track for a record 73 victories in a season after a win over San Antonio Spurs yesterday.
- Tell me about these golf scores. We could go on for days but to understand scoring in golf you have to understand one thing – par. Par is the number of strokes (times you hit the ball) a golfer is expected to take on that hole – from the tee off to putting it into the hole.
The individual hole scores are combined each day for the entire round of golf. The basic breakdown is that the players with a minus (i.e. -4) means they went under par (in this case four strokes under par). That’s a good thing. So on a par four hole (like mentioned above) they hit the ball into the hole in less than the suggested strokes (four). The golfers with a plus after their name (i.e. +3) means it took them more than the number of strokes to get the ball in the hole by three.
Have we confused you enough? To learn more click here.