It’s almost been a week since the Olympics ended and while we’re still mourning the loss of the most patriotic excuse to sit on the couch for hours at a time. There is a ray of hope as another valid excuse is around the corner. Football season.
College football kicks off tonight. Hold onto your hats, here we go.
Calling the plays,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS – After learning five things about fantasy football on Wednesday have you decided to take the plunge and start your own fantasy football team? If so, make sure to check out our simple fantasy football 101 before drafting your team.
NFL (National Football League)
- Filed under 'R' for Raiders. The Oakland Raiders have filed a trademark application for the name “Las Vegas Raiders,” which is another step toward their move to Las Vegas from Oakland.
- A model athlete. Not only does he look like a male supermodel (look out Derek Zoolander) but he’s a really talented athlete. Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo was named the UEFA best player in Europe, joining Lionel Messi as only player win that distinction twice.
- If you can’t say something nice. U.S.A. women’s goalie Hope Solo’s national team contract has been terminated along with a six-month suspension from U.S. women's soccer team (i.e. would not be eligible for selection to the team but can renegotiate in six months). Solo has a history of getting into trouble but the straw that broke the camel’s back was calling Sweden “cowards” after they beat team U.S.A. in the Olympics.
NASCAR (National Association For Stock Car Auto Racing)
- Vroom. The boys are racing at Michigan International Speedway this weekend. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is out at least two more weeks with concussion-like symptoms. His previous stand in, former driver Jeff Gordon, had already made commitments this weekend so Alex Bowman will be filling in.
UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)
- No such luck. President Dana White announced that Ronda Rousey will not fight on the much anticipated New York fight card in November. This is a highly touted event because New York was the last state in the U.S.A. to legalize MMA fighting. Rousey has not fought since losing her title last November.
F1 (Formula One Racing)
- Back to work. Back with a nice golden tan from their summer break, the drivers of F1 will be racing in Belgium this Sunday. To recap, Lewis Hamilton is in the lead in the standings, followed closely by teammate Nico Rosberg.
- The Arizona Coyotes made history, hiring Dawn Braidas the first ever full-time woman NHL (hockey) coach. She was part-time last year and will now be the team’s full-time skating coach.
- College football kicks off today with Cal and Hawaii playing their season opener tonight in Sydney, Australia. This is the first American football game, aka "gridiron" to the Aussies, in Australia since 1987. Why Australia you ask? Sbnation.com highlights the chance for the teams to re-introduce the sport to the country (only 7,600 fans attended the 1987 game), make some money, open up the doors to new recruits and for TV rights (see making money).
- Ryan Lochte may have a new coach. No, it's not swimming but dancing. Ryan Lochte is reportedly the newest member of Dancing with the Stars which will debut on September 12. We hear he does a great tango around the truth.