The decisions on Sunday are going to be tough – Wine or martini? White after Labor Day? Emmys or football? No matter your choice, we have what you need to know to join the weekend’s sports conversation.
And the Emmy goes to,
The Last Night’s Game Team
NCAA football (College)
- Duking it out. Two football powerhouses face off this weekend when Ohio State (#3) heads to Norman, OK to play University of Oklahoma Sooners (#14). This is a must-win game for the Sooners to stay in the playoff picture.
- Well done Wildcats. University of Arizona is traveling to the Aloha State to play the University of Hawaii. Arizona’s uniforms will honor the U.S.S. Arizona which was sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The teams will honor survivors from the ship at halftime.
- Enemy territory. Top dog University of Alabama (#1) heads to Oxford, MS to take on Ole Miss (#19 - University of Mississippi). Ole Miss has beaten a mighty Alabama team twice in the past two years.
For a complete listing of game times, click here.
NFL (National Football League)
- No Fun League. Unlike the gift of his presence, Houston Texans’ DeAndre Hopkins received an actual gift from Kanye West. Adidas and West gave him “Yeezy cleats” for the home opener last week. After the game, Hopkins received a gift from the NFL – a $6,000 fine for violating uniform policy. When asked if he would wear them again Hopkins said “only if Kanye pays the fine.” Fine then.
- Betting on the house. Moving the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas is becoming more of a reality. The Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee voted unanimously to approve a hotel tax to help build a 65,000 seat domed stadium for the team. Bonus – UNLV (University of Nevada- Las Vegas) will also play their home games there. Head over to Vegas to contribute to the Raiders…at least someone wins when you lose.
Click here for this weekend's NFL scheudle.
NHL (National Hockey League)
- The World Cup of Hockey begins this weekend with eight teams competing in Toronto. Over the next two weeks the teams will battle for the title of "Best in the World." For more information and for games times, here you go.
- Continuing the campaign to change the name to the No Fun League (NFL), Pittsburgh Steelers’ Antonio Brown was fined for his post-touchdown celebration he calls “boomin” (aka twerking). Brown is no stranger to dancing in public; he made it to the semifinals in a previous season of Dancing with the Stars.
- Sunday’s F1 (Formula One) race comes to us all the way from Singapore. The two-man battle for the overall points lead between teammates Lewis Hamilton (ahead by two points) and Nico Rosberg, could be decided at this iconic night race. The overall points title has been won on this track in four out of the last five years.
- The team with the best record in baseball, Chicago Cubs, clinched the National League Central Division for the first time since 2008. They are the first team to clinch a playoff spot. We’re guessing a lot of Chicagoans will be calling in sick this morning with the celebration flu.
Reminder – MLB has two leagues (National League and American League) and each of those have three divisions (West, East and Central). MLB playoffs begin on October 4th and of course we’ll bring you all you need to know.