Fall is in the air and the flavor of pumpkin is everywhere. May your pumpkin spice latte bring you as much joy as today’s Rundown.
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS – This weekend’s tailgate treat is not made of pumpkin but liquid gold - Kristen’s chorizo queso. Pop that Lipitor and enjoy.
NCAA football (College)
- Don’t hold your breath. ESPN’s College GameDay will broadcast from Knoxville, TN ahead of the matchup between University of Florida Gators (#19) and Tennessee Volunteers (#14). Tennessee has been unsuccessful in beating Florida in their last 12 attempts. In sports, there’s always hope. Will this be the year the Vols beat the Gators?
- Beak not included. The University of Oregon Ducks are known for having a plethora of uniforms because of their close relationship with Nike. This weekend they’ll be sporting uniforms that look like their mascot, The Fighting Duck.
Need to schedule your Saturday around your team? Here’s the schedule.
NFL (National Football League)
- I got this coach. New England Patriots’ Bill Belichick coached third-string rookie quarterback Jacoby Brissett to a stellar shutout game last night against the Texans. Brissett replaces Tom Brady and back up quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.
- Viking strong. After losing their starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater in the preseason, the Minnesota Vikings have also lost their star Adrian Peterson to knee surgery. Peterson is likely out for the season. Although if anyone can return it is Peterson. He returned to the field nine months after ACL surgery (which typically requires a least a year recovery).
- Rivalry. Bragging rights for the Keystone State are on the line this weekend when Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles face off. Both teams are undefeated this season. The matchup is led by two quarterbacks who are on opposite ends of their careers – Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger is a veteran with hall of fame-type credentials and Eagles’ quarterback is rookie Carson Wentz from North Dakota State who was the second pick in the NFL draft.
- Commitment. What kind of dedication does it take to go from North Dakota State’s quarterback last season to the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles this year? Sacrifices have to be made. Carson Wentz’s girlfriend said she has caught him watching game film under the table on their dates. We’ll have the chicken with a side of touchdown.
When is your team playing? Here’s the schedule.
- Former NBA player and current Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, was at a charity event when a protestor smashed a pie in his face. (It was coconut cream in case you were curious). Johnson reacted quickly and punched the pie thrower in the face. The pie assaulter ended up with stitches, a trip to the hospital and then to jail, where he faces a felony charge for assaulting a public official.
- The final stop on the PGA FedExCup Tour (i.e. the end of the PGA - golf - season) is this weekend in Georgia. The golfer with the most points at the end of the season wins bragging rights along with a $10 million check. Dustin Johnson is leading in FedExCup points and is currently tied in the Georgia tournament. Come Sunday Johnson could be in a higher tax bracket. (Johnson is also the husband of Paulina Gretzky, daughter of famed hockey player Wayne Gretzky).
- What do you mean by third-string? A player, such as Patriots’ Jacoby Brissett, is considered a third-string player for his position. That means there are two other players ahead of him who will play before he does. In the Patriots’ situation, starting quarterback Tom Brady is suspended and back up Jimmy Garoppolo is injured.