This weekend the men and women of college basketball hit the hardwood to determine which teams will play for the national championship. Not to be outdone, the boys of summer will pick up the hardwood and start their season swinging for the fences.
It’s a bad weekend to be a tree,
The Last Night’s Game Team
NCAA Men’s March Madness Tournament
- Light at the end of the tunnel. The final four teams in left in the bracket play Saturday in Phoenix to determine who will play in Monday’s national championship game. We’ll see South Carolina vs Gonzaga and Oregon vs North Carolina.
- Westsiiide. Gonzaga is the first team west of the central time zone to make it to the Final Four in nine years.
- Taking a stance. The NBA (National Basketball Association) and the NCAA (the governing body behind college sports) took a stand against North Carolina’s “bathroom bill.” The NBA moved their All-Star Game from Charlotte last season and the NCAA relocated part of this year’s March Madness tournament, citing their values “of inclusion and gender equity.” The NCAA gave North Carolina a deadline to repeal the bill in order to have a chance at hosting future tournaments. The bill was repealed yesterday.
NCAA Women’s March Madness Tournament
- Ladies first. The women's Final Four is today in Dallas with Stanford taking on South Carolina and Mississippi State battling it out with Connecticut.
- We’re in this together. Both the South Carolina men’s and women’s teams are in their respective Final Four. UConn (Connecticut) was the last school to win both the men’s and women’s titles in same year (2014).
- By now you’ve probably heard about the "artistic" bust created of soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo that will now sit at his hometown airport, which has been renamed in his honor. Words cannot describe the injustice done to a man who isn’t too hard on the eyes (but his statue is). Here’s the photo.
- Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James passed Shaquille O'Neal for seventh on the NBA all-time scoring list. (Shaq took it well). At the ripe old age of 32 he sits roughly 10,000 points below the all-time leader, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Seems like a lofty goal but James is on pace to break that record in five years.
- In honor of baseball season starting on Sunday, what does it mean to be “on deck?” At a MLB (Major League Baseball) game, there's a circle next to the team’s dugout. That is referred to as the on-deck circle and that’s where the batter who is up next goes to warm up before his at bat.
For more mind-boggling baseball questions, visit our MLB Frequently Asked Questions. We promise you’ll learn something new.