Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight
- You gotta fight for your right. The spectacle of the matchup between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor took place on Saturday. In a fight that lasted longer than most people expected, McGregor came out strong and stayed tough but Mayweather’s experience took over and he won with a knockout in the 10th round.
- It’s going down. There was such a demand for the fight on Pay-Per-View that the servers couldn’t keep up. The fight was slightly delayed because of this. The official numbers will be in later this week, but it’s expected that the Pay-Per-View earnings will be around $1 billion.
- I believe in you. Floyd Mayweather was so confident in his abilities that he tried (and was denied) placing a $400,000 bet on himself to win the fight.
- All the pretty people. A plethora of celebrities flocked to the fight and strutted their stuff down the red carpet. See who was there.
MLB (Major League Baseball)
- It was the first time the league celebrated Players Weekend and it was an overwhelming success. The designated weekend gave players a chance to express themselves (such as having their nicknames on the back of their jerseys) and it gave us some interesting matchups like “Sheriff” vs. “Outlaw” and “Cookie” vs. “Mr. Smile.”
- Hurricane Harvey has devastated the lives of millions. Players from Houston area professional sports teams, many whose families live in Houston, are no exception. Both the Houston Astros (MLB) and the Houston Texans (NFL – National Football League) have been diverted to Dallas after playing in away games and are waiting there to see when they can return to Houston.
- Houston Texans star player, JJ Watt, started a flood relief fund with a goal of raising $500,000 to help Houstonians affected by the storm. He pledged a match of $100,000 and as of this morning the fund has already raised $312,000.
- Japan won the Little League World Series yesterday, beating Texas by the 10-run rule. What is the 10-run rule aka the mercy rule? The rule is in place in little league so a lopsided game doesn’t get out of hand. If a team is ahead by 10 runs, the game is called.