Actors want to be rock stars, rock stars want to be athletes and athletes want to be movie stars but most of the time they should stick to their day jobs.
Getting outside their comfort zone.
The Last Night’s Game Team
Five of the most memorable movie cameos by athletes
1. Lance Armstrong. Since we’re knee deep in the Tour de France, we’d be remiss not to mention Lance Armstrong’s pivotal role in Dodgeball. The cyclist gave a game changing motivational speech to Vince Vaughn’s character after quitting the team. Armstrong’s speech in the movie now seems a bit awkward after the doping scandal, “Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life.” We can think of a few other things he might regret. DODGE, DUCK, DIP, DIVE, DODGE
2. Cam Neely. While you may not know the NHL (National Hockey League) hall of famer by name, you’d most certainly remember him as his character Sea Bass in Dumb and Dumber. Between spitting into Jeff Daniels’ burger in the diner (“kick his - expletive - Sea Bass”) to the awkward gas station bathroom encounter, Neely’s character was certainly memorable. A LONELY TRUCKER
3. Brett Favre. There was Something About Mary that hall of fame quarterback Brett Favre (NFL – National Football League) managed to figure out. Favre was actually the third choice for the role in the movie behind former quarterbacks Drew Bledsoe and Steve Young. BUT HE STILL DIDN’T GET THE GIRL
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Not many on this list had as pivotal of a role as NBA (National Basketball Association) legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the 1980 classic comedy, Airplane. As co-captain Murdock, he spent the movie denying he was actually a basketball player. And don’t call me Shirley. JUST AN AVERAGE JOE
5. Basketball greats. While the movie Uncle Drew features Boston Celtics Kyrie Irving (NBA) as the main character, an old guy who can still ball, there are cameos from basketball greats like hall of famers Shaq (and his bare bum) and Reggie Miller. Like a cherry on top, the cameo by WNBA (Women’s National Basketball Association) legend and hall of famer Lisa Leslie as an angry wife sealed the deal. SIDE HUSTLE
There’s more where that came from
It’s not all movie credits and SAG cards around here. Here’s what everyone is talking about today including why jean shopping isn’t fun even when you’re fit, when you do upper body on a leg day and who ate the biggest (and most famous) bowl of cereal. READ