The Last Night’s Game Team
PS - Now that your Thanksgiving leftovers have been demolished, here's an easy Tailgate Treat to fill bellies at a football game or holiday party.
NCAA Football (College)
- Almost there. This weekend is when the College Football Conference Championships take place. This means conference teams play for the winning title and hopefully a better postseason bowl game. There are too many big games for us to cover so you can find out the scoop on each game here.
NFL (National Football League)
- I put a spell on you. New England Patriots’ Rob Gronkowski is out for the season as he will undergo back surgery today. Fans believe his injury is due to the “Madden Curse” which refers to the Madden Football video game. In the history of the video game, a significant number of players who were featured on the cover of the game have suffered season ending injuries. Although this is Gronkowski’s third back surgery by the ripe old age of 27.
NBA (National Basketball Association)
- All hail King James. LeBron James has been named Sports Illustrated's "2016 Sportsperson of the Year.” He joins Tiger Woods as the only athlete to receive this honor twice. James was named not only for bringing the City of Cleveland its first major professional sports team championship in 52 years with the Cavaliers, but for his outstanding efforts in the community.
- Futbol fun. The biggest rivalry in soccer takes place on Saturday between Spain’s top two teams - Real Madrid and FC Barcelona. These two teams are led by the biggest stars in soccer - Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) and Lionel Messi (Barcelona). The game, known as “El Classico,” is being played for the 114th year. Madrid currently holds a big lead over Barcelona in league standings. Want more? Click here.
MLB (Major League Baseball)
- Welcome home. Major League Baseball agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement with the Major League Baseball Players Association to avoid a lockout (i.e. a strike). One of the main points in the agreement removed awarding World Series home-field advantage to the winning league in the All-Star Game. Now that will be decided by the team in the World Series with the best record.
- There’s a new trend in football - tents on the sideline and no they aren’t for camping. During the Monday night game Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (NFL) mysteriously went inside the sideline tent. The tent is designed so team trainers can treat players’ injuries without TV cameras, fans or other teams seeing what’s wrong. That’s strategery. (SNL version of Bush…anyone)? The tent was introduced by University of Alabama who began using it at the beginning of the season and the idea spread like wildfire. Check it out.
- Geologists measured the ground vibrations during last week’s Ohio State – Michigan football game. The two teams' fans we’re so rowdy and created so much seismic activity during the double overtime game that it registered as a 5.79 earthquake.
- Major League Baseball players have participated in a strike before. The last lockout in baseball was the 1994 season. Yes, the whole season was cancelled.