Serving up bite-size pieces of sports for your weekend.
Bigger isn’t always better,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS – While part of the U.S. is enjoying a snow day today, did you know that the Winter Olympics in South Korea are only 37 weeks away?
NFL (National Football League)
- Blame it on the rain. The construction of the joint stadium for the Rams and the Chargers, who moved to Los Angeles to play in the $2.6 billion stadium, has been delayed. Excessive rain has pushed back the opening date by a year. Even NFL teams can’t get their home improvement project done on time.
NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing)
- Seeing stars. It’s the All-Star Race this weekend. Keep your eyes on Kevin Harvick in the Busch car. If he wins, one lucky fan will win $1 million through the Busch loyalty contest. That sounds easy but the format of the race itself is pretty complicated. Here's a great explanation of how drivers can take home the checkered flag.
- Baltimore is buzzing this weekend - it’s time for The Preakness. Always Dreaming, the horse that won the Kentucky Derby, is the favorite to win as he takes the next step toward the ultimate horse racing title, the Triple Crown. (The Triple Crown is when a horse wins the Kentucky Derby, The Preakness and The Belmont Stakes).
It’s a tough race for the Derby winner because it’s a two-week turnaround, as opposed to the usual month. Only five of the 10 horses racing participated in Derby, which means the other horses in the race are fresh.
- The WNBA (Women’s National Basketball Association) inked a deal with Twitter to live stream their games. The first game on opening weekend drew 1.1 million viewers. Also a product of the partnership, a WNBA emoji when fans tweet #WNBA or #WNBALive.
- Earlier this week playoff hockey brought us Keith Urban signing the national anthem which led to a victory for Mr. Carrie Underwood, Mike Fisher, and his Nashville Predators. Last night Kelly Clarkson sang but the Anaheim Ducks beat the Predators in overtime to tie the series. While you may not be the biggest hockey fan, this series will get you excited to watch. The next game is Saturday night.