Lincoln’s speech about four scores and seven years ago actually had nothing to do with sports. While that’s true and pretty obvious, it’s not always so obvious how to start a conversation at your fourth of July barbecue. That’s why we’re here for you.
Baby you're a firework,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS- Lincoln might have not been talking sports but he was referencing the year 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was signed.
MLB (Major League Baseball)
- Vote for me. The players participating in the MLB All-Star Game have been revealed and the rosters feature 23 first-time all-stars. (The game is next Tuesday in Miami). Fans can vote for the two players who will take the final spots on each roster until Thursday. Vote here.
- A good luck donkey. Cincinnati Reds player Joey Votto bet his teammate Zack Cozart that he would buy him a donkey if Cozart made the all-star team. Well, Cozart is now the proud owner of a donkey after being selected as the starting shortstop for the national league in next week’s game.
- Tomorrow’s celebrations aren’t only about the fireworks and the red, white and blue. They also includes America’s most gluttonous competition…the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. American Joey Chestnut is the fan favorite. Last year he won by eating 70 hot dogs in 10 minutes. Do not try this at home.
- Saturday was a good day to be a free agent in the NBA (National Basketball Association) with nearly $1 billion in deals signed on the first day. It was an especially great day to be Steph Curry of the Golden State Warriors who signed a five year, $201 million contract. His contract is the largest in NBA history.
Not to be outdone, some players used emojis in an attempt to recruit new team members. Who needs words when there’s a thumbs up emoji?
- June was a record setting month for home runs in MLB. Rumors were circulating that the ball was “juiced” and that’s why the record was set. The baseballs are inspected prior to use in a game by MLB. They sent a memo to the teams stating that the baseballs were within guidelines. Guess it was pure man power.