The Boston Marathon is today and that’s clearly the Monday motivation you’ll need to make a morning coffee run, because going for an actual run might be a little ambitious.
Tonight marks the culmination of the college basketball season - the national championship game. We’ll also find out who will win a year of bragging rights as the winner of our bracket challenge.
The cure for your case of the Mondays,
The Last Night’s Game Team
Men’s NCAA March Madness Tournament
- No fairytale ending. Cinderella made it to the ball in the movies but not in March Madness. Number one ranked Gonzaga and North Carolina beat their lower seeded opponents of South Carolina and Oregon. Tonight, we will see two of the nation’s number one teams battle it out for the national championship. Here's how you can watch.
Women’s NCAA March Madness Tournament
- It had to happen at some point. Friday night we witnessed one of the biggest upsets in March Madness history. Mississippi State upset a previously unbeatable UConn (Connecticut) team in overtime of the semifinals. The UConn women’s team hasn’t lost since November 2014.
- Close but no cigar. Mississippi State was unable to carry that momentum into Sunday where they were defeated by the South Carolina Gamecocks, who won their first ever national championship.
NFL (National Football League)
- That’s going to leave a mark. The New England Patriots’ Super Bowl Trophy made an appearance in Maine and was being transported home when the vehicle transporting it hit a deer. The driver and the trophy were unharmed. No word on if the deer was an Atlanta Falcons fan. (Falcons lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl).
- The “Super Bowl of wrestling,” WrestleMania, was last night and WWE (and substitute Today Show co-host) John Cena proposed to his girlfriend of five years and star of Total Divas, Nikki Bella, after they won a tag team match in the ring. That’s how every girl dreams it will happen. (PS – WWE stands for World Wresting Entertainment and she said yes).
- Pitchers aren’t known for their batting skills (they spend too much time practicing pitching) but San Francisco Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner didn’t receive that memo. Yesterday during his team’s first game of the season, he became the first ever pitcher to hit two home runs on opening day. (FYI - today is opening day for teams that didn't play yesterday).
- Golfer Lexi Thompson was on her way to her first major win of the year, but then she was given a penalty from the previous day’s play. A TV viewer emailed the LPGA (Ladies Professional Golf Association) about her improper ball placement. The LPGA reviewed it and assessed the delayed penalty. She ended up losing in a playoff. Golfers everywhere, including Tiger Woods, united on social media to defend her.