A reoccurring theme in today’s Rundown is head trauma. No we haven’t started covering people who head bang at a rock show but athletes who are worried about what’s going on upstairs.
It’s what’s on the inside that counts,
The Last Night’s Game Team
NFL (National Football League)
- Bo knows. Bo Jackson was an athlete for the ages. He made playing in the NFL look easy and then did the same in MLB (Major League Baseball). (Yes he played in two professional sports - a rarity). As head trauma from football continues to take center stage, Jackson spoke out saying, “If I knew back then what I know now (about head injuries), I would have never played football. Never.”
- Pack your bags. After 55 years in San Diego the Chargers announced they will be moving to Los Angeles starting next season. Disputes over funding for a new stadium led to the move. The Chargers join an already saturated L.A. market with the L.A. Rams (NFL), multiple college teams, teams in all other professional sports, the beach and Hollywood.
- Saturday games
Battle of the birds. The Seahawks beat the Falcons in a nail-biter earlier in the season.
Texas-sized underdog. The Patriots are virtually unbeatable at home in the playoffs and the Texans head into the game as one of the biggest underdogs in playoff history (15.5 points).
- Sunday games
Icing on the cake. The game in Kansas City will involve the two teams battling it out with each other and mother nature, who is dishing out an ice storm. (Anyone else singing Frozen’s "Let It Go" in their head? You are now).
Unbiased opinion. Green Bay fans have started a petition to prevent announcers Joe Buck and former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman from calling the game on TV. The petition has 24,000 signatures. Packers fans claim the duo are biased and too negative toward the Packers. (Here’s our unbiased five things to know about Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers in case you need a refresher for the game).
- Carl Edwards (37) announced that he will be driving off into the sunset. Edwards has been a NASCAR driver since 2002 and is known for his backflips off the car when he’d win a race. He cited walking away with his health as one of the reasons for retirement, especially after seeing Dale Earnhardt Jr. struggle with concussions.
Daniel Suarez is poised to take his place on the circuit, becoming the first Mexican born full-time NASCAR driver.
- University of Connecticut women’s basketball is a dynasty. They’ve won four national championships in a row and have tied their own winning streak at 90 games. Tomorrow they will look to win their 91st game in a row which would be an all-time record for men and women’s college basketball. The UConn women have not lost since November 17, 2014.
- Have you ever read a game listing, such as Houston Texas vs New England Patriots and wondered where the game will be played? In most major American sports, the home team is listed last. Now you’re in the know.