For some of you today, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, might be an extension of your weekend and for others it’s simply Monday. In the world of football, today is the first day of the off-season for a few more teams.
If you can’t wait for football season to be over (or you’re simply counting the days until the Lady Gaga halftime show) there’s only one more set of playoff games until the Super Bowl.
On the edge of glory,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS - Do you like what you read? Share us with your friends!
NFL (National Football League)
- Next! The New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons were too much for their opponents. They both took home significant wins against their playoff rivals, the Houston Texans and Seattle Seahawks, respectively.
- Kickers save the day. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers put on a masterful display against the Dallas Cowboys. Kicker Mason Crosby hit a game winning field goal with time running out to give the Packers the win.
The Pittsburgh Steelers leaned on kicker Chris Boswell to beat the Kansas City Chiefs. He kicked a postseason record six field goals en route to the Steelers win.
- One more game until the Super Bowl. The Packers will play the Falcons and the Steelers will face the Patriots on Sunday.
NCAA basketball (College)
- Record breaking. As we reported on Friday, the University of Connecticut (UConn) women’s basketball team was looking to beat the all-time win record for college basketball, men or women, this weekend. They set their minds to their goal and achieved it, winning their 91st consecutive game. The record breaking team hasn’t lost a game since 2014.
- Undefeated. The Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball team is the only remaining undefeated team in the nation.
- Ringling Brothers announced they will be shutting down their circus operations but what do clowns, elephants and acrobats have to do with sports? When the circus comes to town it forces many NBA (National Basketball Association) teams to take extended road trips while the circus uses the arena. This will allow teams to take shorter road trips to help with the brutal NBA travel schedule. It’ll also help with the circus smell left behind.
- The price of Super Bowl tickets dropped 20% after the Dallas Cowboys loss yesterday.
- Someone hire a new graphic designer. STAT. The San Diego Chargers (NFL) announced their relocation to Los Angeles last week and they haven’t exactly been met with open arms. Their first attempt at a logo didn't go over well and the second was mocked for ripping off L.A. Dodgers logo (MLB team – Major League Baseball). The Chargers admit it was a mistake and are reevaluating the logo. There’s a reason they say the third time’s a charm.