With over 50 million people projected to watch Saturday's fight in the U.S. alone, chances are you’ll cross paths with someone who will want to talk shop.
Always be prepared,
The Last Night’s Game Team
Five Things To Know About The Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight
- Why is this matchup such a big deal? This fight brings together champions from two different disciplines – Mayweather is a boxer (and this is a boxing match) and McGregor is a mixed martial artist from the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).
- Floyd “Money” Mayweather has a 49-0 boxing record. A win on Saturday will give him the best record in boxing at 50-0 and he’s already filed five trademarks for the phrase “50-0.” It’s rumored he could make upwards of $400 million for Saturday's fight.
- Experts think he doesn’t have a chance, but Irishman Conor McGregor has been dubbed “Mystic Mac” for making bold predictions and having them come true. The fighter, who made a record $3 million in a UFC fight, is predicted to make over $100 million for this fight. We’d let Mayweather punch us for that much too.
- Sharing the spotlight is the “Confident” Grammy nominated Demi Lovato, who will sing the national anthem. No word on the crooner for the Irish anthem but our fingers are crossed for Bono. Lastly, while Justin Bieber is one of Mayweather’s BFFs, don’t look for him ringside as they’ve reportedly had a falling out this week.
- The rules for the fight are strictly boxing rules. One exception is the weight of the gloves. (See the sideline stat below). What’s to stop McGregor from breaking out a martial arts move? Huge financial penalties and threats that Mayweather’s team will “sue him beyond belief.”
- Where can I catch the fight? The match will stream live from Las Vegas on Pay-Per-View. There are also movie theaters across the country throwing watch parties. The main fight should take place closer to 11 pm EST.
- If you’d like to place a bet, here are the odds. Oddly, they’re pretty comparable.
- Saddened by the violence, Spanish swimmer Fernando Alvarez wanted to pay tribute to the victims of the Barcelona attack at the Masters World Championships. Organizers told him no, so he observed his own moment of silence by standing on his platform for one minute after his race started. That’s a golden heart.
- Typically, UFC fighters fight with four ounce gloves and boxers fight with 10 ounce gloves, but the fighters won an appeal to change the glove weight to eight ounces for this match. This will make the punches more powerful.
- After weeks of speculation, the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Kyrie Irving away from LeBron James and to the Boston Celtics. Irving was traded for Isiah Thomas, who you might remember lost his sister in a car accident last year during the NBA (National Basketball Association) playoffs.