Today is Veteran’s Day where we honor those who have fought for our freedom. Take the time to thank a veteran for their service. If you want to talk to them about sports, we have you covered for that too.
There’s something for everyone,
The Last Night’s Game Team
PS – It’s Friday and that means it’s time for a tailgate treat! Today’s feature is Warm Artichoke and Bacon Dip. Did someone say bacon?
NFL (National Football League)
- No vacancy. The vote to raise the hotel tax to pay for the San Diego Chargers’ new stadium failed in this week’s election. The future of the team remains uncertain. As you may recall, the Chargers we’re approved by the NFL owners to move the team to Los Angeles and share a stadium with the newly anointed Los Angeles Rams. The Chargers have until January 15th to make a decision to move to L.A. or not.
UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)
- The wait is over. This weekend will feature the first UFC fight ever in New York – UFC 205. Headliner Conor McGregor is the organization’s top money maker. To prove it, he’s been driving around the city in a Rolls Royce with a custom paint job featuring his face and nickname “Notorious.” Here's the fight card (a menu of who’s fighting). Don’t be surprised if the women’s fights end up being the best. Click here for our Five Things to Know About UFC.
NCAA Basketball (College)
- Aloha basketball. College basketball begins today with four teams playing in this year’s Armed Forces Classic in Hawaii. One of the teams, The University of Arizona, will wear special “U.S.S. Arizona” uniforms to honor the ship that sank in the battle at Pearl Harbor. For the full college basketball schedule, click here.
NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing)
- Race to the finish. Sunday will be the last chance for six drivers to claim the final two spots in the elimination-style playoffs - the “Chase for the Cup.” A total of four drivers will move on to the final round to race for the title of “NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion.” (Drivers Jimmie Johnson and Carl Edwards have already claimed their spots in the final round with previous wins).
- Florida International University tight end Jonnu Smith is out the rest of the season with an injury that was not sustained through football. His girlfriend dumped a pot of boiling water on his head during an argument. Yowza! She is five months pregnant with their child and now faces felony assault charges.
- Today is one of the most important rivalry games for Team U.S.A. as they look to qualify for the 2018 Soccer World Cup. They will take on southern neighbor Mexico in Columbus, OH. Team U.S.A. has beaten Mexico 2-0 in the last four World Cup qualifying matches played in Columbus. The game can be seen on Fox Sports One at 8 pm EST.
- It was purely coincidence that the Cleveland Cavaliers made the traditional NBA Champions trip to the White House on the same day as the new President Elect. There was no talk of politics, only praise from President Obama for the Cavs who overcame an insurmountable deficit in last season’s finals to beat the Golden State Warriors.