It’s finally Friday and we’re revved up for this weekend’s Daytona 500. Boxer Manny Pacquiao had a rough week and find out why the NBA’s Steve Novak is feeling a bit like Taylor Swift with yet another breakup.
Shake it off,
The Last Night’s Game Team
- Total knockout. Nike announced they have cut ties with boxer Manny Pacquiao over comments he made that same-sex couples are “worse than animals.” Pacquiao later apologized for his comments while wearing his Nike gear. Nike called his comments “abhorrent” and said farewell. Pacquiao is running for a Senate seat in Philippines (he's currently a member of the House of Representatives) and is scheduled to retire after his next fight against Timothy Bradley on April 9th. His last fight was a loss to Floyd Mayweather in May 2015.
NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing)
- Gentlemen start your engines. The starting lineup for this year's Daytona 500 race has been determined. The most notable is, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., who is starting third place. This year’s running marks the 15th anniversary of the death of his father, driver Dale Earnhardt, at the same track. For the full starting grid click here. You can catch the Daytona 500 live on Sunday at Noon (EST) on FOX.
NBA (National Basketball Association)
- Yawn. The NBA trade deadline was Thursday at 3 pm (EST). On most accounts it was uneventful. View the ESPN trade tracker here.
- Go team? NBA veteran Steve Novak has been traded numerous times over the past few years. His most recent trade warranted this photo on Twitter of his son’s confused team spirit with the caption “Knicks hoop, Thunder jersey, and Jazz shorts...and you wonder why the lil homie is confused! #TradeDeadline.“ Novak was traded from Oklahoma City Thunder to Denver Nuggets.
NFL (National Football League)
- Horsing around. After a 12-year career Carolina Panthers defensive end Jared Allen announced his retirement with a video of his ride off into the sunset. Cue Mother Nature.
UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)
- Howdy partner. Two fighters with the nickname “Cowboy” battle in the main event to see who keeps the nickname. The fight features Donal “Cowboy” Cerrone vs Alex “Cowboy” Oliviera at welterweight (170 pounds) live Sunday night on Fox Sports One at 9 pm (EST).
- University of Miami Hurricanes head coach, Mark Richt, has offered a scholarship to eighth grade quarterback Harrison Bailey. Bailey would be part of the 2020 recruiting class and is already 6’3” and 175 pounds. Apparently early scholarship offers are not as far fetched as we think with LeBron James’ son reportedly received scholarship offers at 10-years-old.
- Major League Baseball’s (MLB) spring training has begun with pitchers and catchers reporting for duty this week. The boys of summer are back.
- What is the trade deadline? The trade deadline is the last day where teams can make a trade to improve their roster for the last half of the season and hopefully the playoffs. Teams are not allowed to make any trades with other teams after the trade deadline. Period.