It was an action packed weekend in sports but the big thing to know for your water cooler chat this morning is that Super Bowl Champion Peyton Manning will announce his retirement this afternoon. Yes, the delightful hum of the Nationwide jingle and the face of Papa John’s Pizza will call it a day.
Thanks Peyton it’s been fun (to the tune of the Nationwide jingle…of course).
The Last Night’s Game Team
NFL (National Football League)
- Denver Broncos' Quarterback Peyton Manning will announce his retirement after 18 seasons today at 1 pm (EST). A few notable career highlights:
- Two Super Bowl appearances
- Five-time NFL MVP
- Leader in touchdown passes (539), passing yards (71,940) and wins (186)
- 14-time Pro Bowl selection (Pro Bowl is the NFL’s all-star game)
- Still possibly one of the funniest Saturday Night Live skits ever
NASCAR (NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR STOCK CAR AUTO RACING)
- A windy win. From Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Brad Keselowski won the Kobalt 400, a race that saw rain and sand storm delays and wind gusts up to 40 MPH.
PGA (Professional Golfers' Association)
- Keep on keeping on. Adam Scott won the WGC Cadillac Tournament in Florida for his second straight win. A win seemed impossible as he trailed by six shots with just 13 holes to go. No withdrawals from belly putter here.
- 7-7-7. From Las Vegas, the HSBC Sevens World Series tournament took place this weekend. Las Vegas is the fifth stop in the series of 10 stops around the world in 10 different countries. (In case you were wondering, Team Fiji won, with Team USA finishing in fourth place). Rugby Sevens is set to make its debut in the Summer Olympics in Brazil.
UFC (ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP)
- The odds were against them. The underdog Miesha Tate beat champion Holly Holm by submission (i.e. Holm said no more, I’m done) to win the championship. Tate’s win spoils the anticipated rematch between Holm and Ronda Rousey later this year. (Holm beat Rousey previously).
- Also an underdog, Nate Diaz took down arguably the biggest name in the UFC, Conor McGregor, in the second round to upset the previously undefeated fighter. McGregor’s original opponent dropped out two weeks before the fight due to injury and Diaz stepped in. When asked if he was surprised he won Diaz had to say this.
- In 2014 a malnourished, stray dog showed up at the Milwaukee Brewers spring training facility in Phoenix. The team took the dog in and named him Hank. Hank became a fan favorite. Recent photos of Hank surfaced, showing him looking very different then when he arrived. On Friday, the Brewers had a veterinarian release a statement saying dental records and microchip confirm it is the same dog, not an imposter.
- The Iditarod dog-sled race began on Sunday. This year is a little different as Alaska has had a mild winter and race organizers had to bring in snow via train. The 85 teams will race the 1,000 miles to claim the title of the next Champion. The winner is expected to cross the finish line in eight days from now.
- What is Rugby Sevens? In short, a Rugby Sevens game has only seven players on the field, instead of 15 in normal rugby. They also play seven-minute halves with a one-minute halftime break. So this is the sport for those who have no attention span and like lots of action and excitement.