Happy Friday after Thanksgiving, or as it’s known in many households as “the day I swear I’ll never eat again.”
This weekend is full as well – full of college football rivalries. Like a black Friday sale, anything can happen in a rivalry game.
Flat screen TV with every dishwasher? We’re camping out,
The Last Night’s Game Team
NCAA Football (College)
- Upset the whole apple cart. Normally the Apple Cup doesn't matter. (We say that about it in our diet too). This year’s Washington rivalry series is the first time since 1981 that this game has implications for the national championship. The victor between Washington (#5) and Washington State (#23) will claim the PAC-12 North (Pacific Conference) title and a spot in the PAC-12 championship. If Washington wins, it could bring them one step closer to a final four playoff berth.
- A gift to you. ESPN College GameDay is heading to Columbus, OH to cover the long-standing hatred between Michigan (#4) and Ohio State (#2). The outcome of this year’s game will have such a significant impact on the college football playoffs that GameDay has been extended from three hours to five hours. The team that loses this game will lose their chance to play for a spot in the national championship.
- Banjo battle. The fierce in-state rivals, Auburn (#11) vs #1 Alabama (#1) will play in the “Iron Bowl” on Saturday. (Yes Auburn is in Alabama). Alabama has already secured a spot in the SEC championship (Southeastern Conference) and has all but a lock on a final four spot in the playoffs, but Auburn would love nothing more than to spoil the party.
NFL (National Football League)
- Round up. While you were eating turkey, the Dallas Cowboys beat the Washington Redskins for their franchise record 10th straight win. Lead by two stellar rookies, Dax Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys remain on fire.
F1 Racing (Formula One)
- Let's go fast. The F1 season will be decided on Sunday during the final race of the season. Teammates Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton are competing to win the overall Drivers’ Championship. Rosberg sits in first place and Hamilton in second. For Hamilton to win the overall championship, he needs to win and have Rosberg finish outside the top three positions, which is like wishing for a black Friday sale with no pushing or shoving.
- The 15th Annual National Dog Show was yesterday and the winner was a greyhound named Gia. The commentary was as flavorful as your pecan pie using lines like “fast on her feet, gentle on the eyes and with a glowing personality to boot” and “she has a head like a snake and can really gallop.” Somewhere the actors from Best in Show are beaming with pride.
- 4 minutes 35 seconds. That’s how long it took Aretha Franklin to soulfully belt out the national anthem at the Detroit Lions – Minnesota Vikings game yesterday. Listen and see the funny Twitter reactions here.
- If you’ve ever wondered what Thanksgiving is like over at supermodel Gisele Bündchen and NFL star Tom Brady’s house, we can tell you that it’s probably nothing like yours with nice salads and picking ingredients from the garden. Hopefully all that family and food will fuel Brady as he plays for his 200th career win this weekend.