Happy Cinco de Mayo! We love holidays where you can eat tacos and drink margaritas without judgement.
Best day ever,
The Last Night’s Game Team
NBA (National Basketball Association)
- For real? LaVar Ball is the father of UCLA basketball player Lonzo Ball, who is entering in this year’s NBA draft. Papa Ball is so demanding that he’s scared away any sponsor who might want to work with his son.
Drawing serious criticism, Ball released his son’s own signature shoe that you can buy for a cool $495. (Mind you he’s never played in an NBA game). Look out Kris Jenner, there’s a new sheriff in town.
- Weight issues. This Cinco de Mayo weekend in Las Vegas features a matchup of Mexico’s two biggest fighters - Canelo Alvarez and Julio Chavez Jr. The fighting weight for each boxer is set at 164.5 pounds. If either goes over that weight, they will owe their competitor $1 million per pound. Don’t give Jenny Craig any ideas.
- The Fertitta Brothers, who recently sold UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) for a hefty profit, are putting their money where their mouths are. They have started their own $500 million fund to invest in fast-growing companies in the media, entertainment and technology sectors.
- The 143rd annual Kentucky Derby will run rain or shine. Saturday’s forecast calls for rain on race day which is not unusual as 46% of Derby days have seen rain. The race is at 6:34 pm EST on Saturday.
- The day before the Derby is the Kentucky Oaks, which is a race for the fillies (female horses). The race started in 1875 and is the fourth highest attended horse race in the U.S. – following the Triple Crown of racing. All attendees are encouraged to wear pink because the day raises money for critical women’s health issues. Here's more on the triple crown and the Kentucky Oaks.